Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Onlne Flexibility Seminar lesson 5

This weeks lesson is a progression of last week. Its main focus is again on dynamic flexibility and strengthening the hip flexors. Instead of doing the exercises lying down, this week we are doing them standing up, lots of raises, circles etc.

There is also a new stretching mini-routine that is for preparation for the side split. The exercise is designed to "open the joint capsule" of the hip. It is supposed to prepare the nervous system and all the tendon, ligaments and muscles for the straddle or side split.

While I haven't yet done the full routine, I have incorporated this mini routine into my stretching and I have to say it feels great, this along with the mermaid mini routine from last week are staying in my light stretch routine.

Its been a busy week so far, I've just started a 4 week Krav Maga course. A female friend of mine and my girlfriends was attacked a few months ago by a guy, she managed to hit him and run off. Apparently he has raped a few girls in the area so I thought it was a good idea for my girlfriend to get some self defense training. She isn't into learning a Martial Art and never listens or takes any training advice from me so joining a group lesson was the best alternative, plus I've been curious about all the  "hype" about Krav Maga and its reality based training so I said I would go with her if it would make her do it.

Now keep in mind, its a beginners "stage 1" course that runs for 4 weeks and I'm guessing prepares you to join in on the intermediate/advanced classes. My initial thoughts are if you are looking to learn self defense in a few weeks/months and don't want to commit to an "art" for a number of years, its probably a really good option. The first class focused on kicks to the groin and palm and knee strikes on shields and focus mitts. All really basic stuff, but stuff you would probably use if you needed to defend yourself.

I doubt anyone with any decent experience in a martial art (stress decent i.e: full power strikes on targets and some "live" training, not just set sparing etc) would get a whole lot out of it, apart from a good workout) but it looks like a good option for anyone that just wants to learn some basic self defense.

1 comment:

  1. Some guy tried to pull the daughter of my Sensi into a car a few months ago - he got a palm in his nose for the trouble. Around this time I heard that the daughetr of an extreemly senior grade in my style had been attacked ont he London underground. After giving her attacker the option to leave her alone a couple of time, when he wouldn't, she struck him in the throat with her key. She didn't get prosecuted - and rightly so.

    Glad you're keeping up with the training. It's slow going with flexibility training and sometimes I wonder if it's worth it - it really does help to keep motivated to see that your going through the same thing! Keep it up - and get stuck into your martial arts too!

    ReplyDelete