Monday, April 5, 2010

Injuries and review of lessons 9 and 10

Damn injuries! Havent been able to really train for almost 3 weeks now due to what appears to be tendinitis of the Hip Flexor. Its much better now but for 3 weeks any external rotation or abduction would cause pain and my range of motion was severely limited. Thankfully its definitely getting better so should be able to get back into stretching properly in a few days. The Ball massage definitely has been helping. I have learned a good lesson though, I need to continue to do my general conditioning and not just the course specific routines presented each week, warm up properly and not over do it..give myself time to rest and listen to my body.

Quick Review of lesson 9 and 10.
Lesson 9 was a continuation of accelerated stretching focusing on the hamstrings

Lesson 10 I thought was a bit weird with an almost karate like kata/pattern of static exercises, it was strange in that the positions held weren't demonstrated in a deep position so it didn't look like ELC. There was also a sequence of stretches for hip flexors, hamstrings that he has shown before that you perform prior to trying to get into the front split.

At this stage with only 2 weeks to go there has been almost no actual practicing of the splits (think we tried front split once). Considering its an online course on how to do the splits I'm a bit confused. Comparing it to other training methodologies like Kurz and Pavel where you are doing split specific PNF training 3 times a week I'm thinking the course name is misleading. It should just be Flexibility Training Course and not Splits and Flexibility Training Course.

Now I understand that to achieve the splits you need to be flexible, so you need to have an understanding of how to develop flexibility I just don't feel that the course has focused on performing the splits in particular, more just on lower body flexibility.

Anyway, 2 weeks to go then I can hopefully put into practice what I have learned, my Hip Flexor should be 100% by then as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment